Getting my work out there

Throughout the time of this project, I have been researching exhibitions and online platforms in order to be able to showcase my work. This is something I have found to be a lot harder than what I originally thought it to be; especially for the type of piece my project is. When searching around for exhibitions, and even examples of others work, I came to find that experimental compositions accompanied by art pieces are far less than imagined. Even more so with it being a static art piece. In regards to exhibitions of this nature I have been through countless websites featuring exhibitions that have already happened, events that are not open to public submission, or just are not open to static art with audio. This is not to say that no one caters to this by no means, as something I have found through my research is that the mix of art and audio is something that is being highlighted, and experimented with, more and more as years go by.

Of the sites that I found that did not advertise any upcoming exhibitions, that allowed public submissions, but clearly were in the market of experimental, I sent emails enquiring if there was anything coming up, or any way of getting my work on to their platforms; whether that be an actual exhibit or even online. I made enquiries to the The Collection, located right here in Lincoln, explaining my project and the meaning of it, and didn’t even receive a response, and also through my search came up Hull’s art page, and as Hull is going to be 2017 city of culture, I enquired through this asking of anything coming up in the next few months. Again no response – this showing evidence of just how hard it is to try and get your work out there into the world of art and music. The two more highly recognised publications I contacted are Aesthetica Magazine and The Wire; Aesthetica a British art and culture magazine, hard copy and online, covering music and focusing mainly on visual art, and The Wire, an independent magazine focusing more on the ‘non-mainstream’ and more experimental, alternative music. I received a response form Aesthetica simply saying they appreciated me contacting them as the lady who replied to me is an experimental artist herself, but it’s not something they are interested in as a magazine, and I did receive an email back from Derek Walmsley, editor of The Wire, asking me to explain in more detail because he was interested, but following on from my response I have yet to receive anything back.

After speaking with Emily in one of our tutorials, she told that they have another ESP event coming up in March 2017 and that my piece would fit into their exhibition. So as this will be happening after the deadline I will be showing my work for Emily and David as it will be in the exhibition; with the canvas on the wall, headphones ready to be able to listen to the piece (headphones being what I feel are best for the listening and seeing experience) and a short description next to the canvas explaining my work. This has fulfilled one of my aims, of being to be able to showcase my work and put it out their to listeners/viewers who have interest in the field of experimental sound and art.

References:

Aesthetica Magazine: http://www.aestheticamagazine.com/

The Wire: http://www.thewire.co.uk/